[rancid] Re: RANCID as an Element of a CMDB System

Lance Vermilion rancid at gheek.net
Tue Sep 23 16:42:42 UTC 2008

Traniano,

I don't think it should be that hard. It will for sure take a little
bit of research to come up with a set of common commands between all
the systems that rancid supports. I would look at the commandtable and
then create a table for each vendor that way it can remain fairly
consistent and all your fields would match what you have in your
rancid file. You could create a table for each general command and
then just reference it via the nodeid. Different thoughts for sure one
is more relational while one is more flat. Anyway you layout the
database it is still going to be a result of what is captured from the
commandtable.

The above statement is the easy part, the not so fun part is changing
up rancid to use that database. Writting it isn't tough, it will be
getting it added to the distro so many can use all the hard work.