[rancid] Re: Cisco 2960 switch

Steve Ousley steve at host-it.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 12:53:26 UTC 2008

Hi Martin

I have asked a colleague the questions that you asked and the answers are as
follows:

> Does rancid log in as a priv'd account or are you using an enable secret?

Yes, the config states:

"username rancid privilege 15 secret 5 ********"

> What priv level did you give your rancid user?

As you can see from this, the rancid user has priv level 15.

We also have:

"username rancid autocommand show running"

So that when the user "rancid" logs in, it automatically runs "show
running".  This works fine when I telnet to the switch from the rancid
machine, I can page through the output.

The reason we have this is so that Rancid can get the configs as an enabled
user, but then if anyone gains access to the passwords for Rancid, all they
can do is get the configs, and cannot actually change the configs at all.

> Are you using anything special for AAA like Tacacs or radius?

No we are not using anything special, just plain login and auto-run the
command.

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

 <mailto:steve at host-it.co.uk> steve at host-it.co.uk

 <http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751