[rancid] Re: Rancid with Fortigate Devices?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Apr 21 03:45:07 UTC 2009

Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 04:03:37PM -0700, Peter Serwe:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM, john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> > yep, your prompt is nFGT100C3G0860259~ $
> > but the script expects ->
>
> Ah yes, I had an issue with my new router guy wanting to change all of
> the router prompts
> for BCP 38 compliance, and I had to veto the prompt change because I
> don't want to see either
> of my CMS's broken.
>
> That would be another awesome thing to break out into a configuration
> file per device, having
> a variable to set the regex of the prompt relatively easily, or just
> set a simple wildcard.  I wonder
> if that's even possible with expect.  Or if it would be possible to
> get the prompt, and set it on the fly,
> so that rancid doesn't care what the prompt actually is.

i haven't reviewed this script, but most of the others do this.  they do
however need some kind of hint.  once they find that string, the full
prompt is picked-up from that.

the hint is not cloginrc-programmable.

but...why change it in the first place.  I'm assuming that this device's
prompt always ends with "-> ", as I was told it does.