[rancid] Blank spaces in password

Jose Leitao jleitao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 07:47:14 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with a device that has a blank space in the
password, lets say the password is "lala lala", my .cloginrc setup
looks like this:

add user 1.1.1.1 lala
add autoenable 1.1.1.1 1
add password 1.1.1.1 {lala lala}
add method 1.1.1.1 ssh

If i try to clogin, it fails,  with -d flag, I see this interesting bit:

"@[^\r\n]+ ([Pp]assword|passwd):"? yes
expect: set expect_out(0,string) "@1.1.1.1's password:"
expect: set expect_out(1,string) "password"
expect: set expect_out(spawn_id) "exp6"
expect: set expect_out(buffer) " \r\nlala at 1.1.1.1's password:"
send: sending "lalalala\r" to { exp6 }
expect: continuing expect

It seems its taking the password "lala lala" and changing it to
"lalalala". I have tried putting the password in .cloginrc in
doble/single quotes ("lala lala") and using escapes like \s or \20 but
no luck.  Any Ideas?

I'm using Debian and the rancid version is 2.3.2~a8-4.

Thanks,
JL