[rancid] Problem getting config from Cisco ASA firewalls

Ronni Jensen ronnij at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 07:30:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

My rancid installation works perfectly for Cisco Catalyst switches and other
stuff too.. but for the Cisco ASA firewalls it fails.. In the logs, I get
the "clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached" error.

.cloginrc for a particular FW looks like:

add password 10.10.1.2        {exec_pass} {enable_pass}
add method 10.10.1.2          telnet
add autoenable 10.10.1.2      {1}

I've also tried replacing IP-address with DNS hostname or just using a
wildcard star... no difference. When I telnet directly from the server to
the firewall, the sequence looks like:

*[me at LinuxSrv ~]$ telnet 192.168.1.2
Trying 10.10.1.2...
Connected to 10.10.1.2.
Escape character is '^]'.*

*User Access Verification*
*Password: <TYPING PASSWD>*

*Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.
UMUSASA01> <TYPING "ENABLE">*
*Password: *******
UMUSASA01# *

Any ideas?