[rancid] Re: Small diff problem

Daniel Medina daniel.medina at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:43:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 02:18:44PM +0000, Dan Massey wrote:
> Im new to Rancid, so forgive my lack of understanding please. When I do a
> 'show run' on the router I get the 'Last configuration change' (shown
> below), however this info is not included in the diff from rancid.
>
> Is there a way to ensure this is included?

 You could comment out (with "#")

    /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;

in your rancid script.

 The reason these lines are skipped is to avoid "false diffs", as the lines
could change because someone entered configure mode without actually changing
anything.  If you're using that to attribute a change to a particular person
you may also find that you're picking up changes in the diffs made by someone
else as well.

 See the threads at

    http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2008-September/003254.html
    http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2008-September/003255.html