[rancid] Tunneling Telnet connections

Steve D. Ousley Steve at host-it.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 12:40:34 UTC 2009

Hi All

We manage 2 data centres, and have some switches in the second (unmanned)
data centre that are being backed up from our Rancid box in the primary
(manned) data centre.  What we would like though is some secure way to get
the configs from the remote data centre.  At the moment, rancid logs in with
Telnet, which is obviously unsecure, and could be sniffed to gain our
password.

Unfortunately due to these being Cisco 2960's (without the K9 bundle) we
cannot setup SSH to access these remotely, and for the 3 or 4 switches we
have in the remote centre (at the moment) it is not worth setting up another
rancid box for that.

I would like to know the best way to secure this, either maybe through an
SSH tunnel to a machine in the remote data centre or any other ideas anyone
has?

Regards

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

 <mailto:steve at host-it.co.uk> steve at host-it.co.uk

 <http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751