[rancid] Re: DONE: Implementation of the (generic) linux configuration backup-versioning DEVELOPMENT VERSION

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Jul 7 14:40:46 UTC 2009

FreeBSD's base config would be fairly easy:  /etc/rc.conf.

The problem would be the configuration of all the secondary daemons:
ntpd, sendmail, etc.

To do this properly, you're probably better off using a real system
configuration tool.  RANCID is absolutely awesome at what it does, but
trying to extend it to accomodate one of my highly customized FreeBSD
boxes would be extremely difficult.

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 04:38:11PM +0200, Diego Ercolani wrote:
> ....and of course.... it should work also with FreeBSD....
> Diego
>
> In data marted? 07 luglio 2009 16:29:12, Thomas Donnelly ha scritto:
> > Also with FreeBSD remote root logins are not permitted by default so I
> > would have to change that on every one of my servers.
> >
> > -=Tom
> >
> > Sam Munzani wrote:
> > > Diego,
> > >
> > > Many companies don't allow root user for the SSH. So usually its login
> > > as normal user then either "su -" or "sudo su -". I think this script
> > > can be more useful if it considers non root logins.
> > >
> > > My 2 cents.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sam

Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/
Latest book:  Cisco Routers for the Desperate, 2nd Edition
http://www.CiscoRoutersForTheDesperate.com/