[rancid] Re: DONE: Implementation of the (generic) linux configuration backup-versioning DEVELOPMENT VERSION

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Tue Jul 7 14:51:10 UTC 2009

Backuppc does a really good job of this BTW.  It uses RSYNC, performs basic file level de-duplication and will allow to restore to any version from their interface.  It's free and pretty much designed for *NIX boxes already.

This is listed as their main feature:

A clever pooling scheme minimizes disk storage and disk I/O. Identical files across multiple backups of the same or different PCs are stored only once resulting in substantial savings in disk storage and disk I/O.

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

-ryan