[rancid] MPLS and Rancid

Todd Heide Todd at equivoice.com
Thu Jul 23 16:02:11 UTC 2009

I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I have a need for
Rancid to be able to access devices in an MPLS environment.

What we have is a network of devices, some on MPLS that is reachable via
a share, and some that are completely autonomous from the rest of the
network, they have their own firewall in the colo and everything is
reached through that, unless you have access to a Core router, and can
then reach them through their VRF.

What I was thinking is if there is a way for Rancid to log into a Core
router, and then from there, ssh or telnet, depending on the Core
router, to the customers routers via the VRF commands. These would need
to be done one device at a time so it doesn't overwhelm the core router
with connections.

Basically, Rancid logs into say 10.255.255.254, then issues, telnet
10.255.254.2 /vrf testcase, logs into the device, does its Rancid thing,
logs out, then does it again for the next device on the list. This would
be something I would schedule to be done once a day, starting at 11 PM.

Can it be done?

Todd