[rancid] Re: Issues getting Rancid to Back up the JuniperMX960.

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Jun 1 20:16:59 UTC 2009

Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 02:39:24PM -0400, Elliott, Andrew:
> Yes, I have been running it from the command line.

What is the ending contents of the host.raw file?

> The -d switch is failing for me:
>
> stlrvrpol0> ./jlogin -d -c 'show chassis clocks;show chassis
> environment;show chassis firmware;show chassis fpc detail;show chassis
> hardware detail;show chassis routing-engine;show chassis scb;show
> chassis sfm detail;show chassis ssb;show chassis feb;show chassis
> cfeb;show chassis alarms;show system boot-messages;show version
> detail;show configuration' rtr1.city-st
>

> Error: Unknown argument! -d

This option was added around rancid 2.3.2a7; you should upgrade to
2.3.2.  in the meantime, expect -d jlogin ... will do the same thing.
the output around the hang/timeout has to be examined.

> Usage: ./jlogin [-c command] [-Evar=x] [-f cloginrc-file]  [-p
> user-password] [-r passphrase] [-s script-file]  [-u username] [-t
> timeout] [-x command-file] [-y ssh_cypher_type]  router [router...]
> stlrvrpol0>
>

> stlrvrpol0> uname -a
> SunOS stlrvrpol0 5.8 Generic_117350-43 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
> stlrvrpol0> expect -v
> expect version 5.31.5
> stlrvrpol0> ssh -V
> OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007
> stlrvrpol0>
>
> Due to specific restrictions within the organization, I will have an
> extremely difficult time getting approval for the patched version of
> expect to be compiled.  Is the issue still present in 5.43?  I would
> have a much easier time getting the expect upgraded to the latest
> official version than getting a patched one installed.

afaik, the problem has never been fixed in expect (really tcl).  you
could install it in/under ~ranciduser's homedir and adjust PATH in
rancid.conf to avoid dealing with your IT dept.