[rancid] Need help: rancid-run deleting all configs from CSV

Kevin Eves kaeves at cbmc.com
Wed Mar 4 19:50:56 UTC 2009

Hello everyone.  I'm probably the newest member of the list as I am just
getting started with Rancid and I could use some assistance.

I'm trying to get Rancid set up on a CentOS 5.2 server.  This is now my
second attempt as I blew away the first setup to try to start over when
things got too messed up.

I followed the instructions from
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch1_:_Ne
twork_Backups_With_Rancid using the newest alpha version of Rancid:
rancid-2.3.2a9.tar.gz
<ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/rancid-2.3.2a9.tar.gz> .  The only
change was the directory location of /opt/rancid instead of
/usr/local/rancid.  I also set up cvsweb to make it easy to browse the
configs.

Rancid will query the routers successfully and dump the configs into
/opt/rancid/var/networking/configs, but in the
/opt/rancid/var/CVS/networking/configs there is nothing except ./Attic
because rancid-run deletes them all after it puts them in.  It works for
router.db and will notify me of changes to that, but it doesn't work for
any of the router config files.

Furthermore, every time rancid-run runs, it also emails me this:

The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than
24 hours.

-rw-r----- 1 rancid netadm 24234 Mar  4 01:06 192.168.1.1

-rw-r----- 1 rancid netadm 2744 Mar  4 01:06 192.168.1.254

... and so on for all of them.

I've looked through the FAQ, readme, man pages, and lots of web searches
and I can't figure it out.

Below I've put all the information that I think is necessary to solve
the problem, but if there is anything else that is needed, just let me
know and I'll add that later.

If someone can help me figure out this strange behavior, I would be very
grateful.  If it turns out to be a bug, I'll submit a report.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin Eves

router.db:

     192.168.1.1:cisco:up

     192.168.1.254:cisco:up

     Public.ip.1.removed:cisco:up

     Public.ip.2.removed:cisco:up

     Public.ip.3.removed:cisco:up

     Public.ip.4.removed:cisco:up

     Public.ip.5.removed:cisco:up

Log example:

starting: Wed Mar 4 14:01:01 EST 2009

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for 192.168.1.1

cvs add: Re-adding file `192.168.1.1' (in place of dead revision 1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router 192.168.1.1

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for 192.168.1.254

cvs add: Re-adding file `192.168.1.254' (in place of dead revision 1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router 192.168.1.254

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for Public.ip.1.removed

cvs add: Re-adding file `Public.ip.1.removed' (in place of dead revision
1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router Public.ip.1.removed

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for Public.ip.2.removed

cvs add: Re-adding file `Public.ip.2.removed' (in place of dead revision
1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router Public.ip.2.removed

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for Public.ip.3.removed

cvs add: Re-adding file `Public.ip.3.removed' (in place of dead revision
1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router Public.ip.3.removed

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for Public.ip.4.removed

cvs add: Re-adding file `Public.ip.4.removed' (in place of dead revision
1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router Public.ip.4.removed

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for Public.ip.5.removed

cvs add: Re-adding file `Public.ip.5.removed' (in place of dead revision
1.2).

cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

cvs added missing router Public.ip.5.removed

cvs remove: removed `Public.ip.5.removed'

Deleted Public.ip.5.removed

cvs remove: removed `Public.ip.4.removed'

Deleted Public.ip.4.removed

cvs remove: removed `Public.ip.1.removed'

Deleted Public.ip.1.removed

cvs remove: removed `192.168.1.254'

Deleted 192.168.1.254

cvs remove: removed `Public.ip.2.removed'

Deleted Public.ip.2.removed

cvs remove: removed `Public.ip.3.removed'

Deleted Public.ip.3.removed

cvs remove: removed `192.168.1.1'

Deleted 192.168.1.1

Trying to get all of the configs.

All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .

cvs diff: Diffing configs

cvs commit: Examining .

cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Wed Mar 4 14:01:43 EST 2009

And then when I look in cvsweb at one of the configs in the Attic it
says this, showing that it created the file and then deleted it seconds
later:

Keyword substitution: o

Default branch: MAIN

Revision 1.2

Wed Mar 4 18:52:34 2009 UTC (29 minutes, 34 seconds ago) by rancid

Branches: MAIN

CVS tags: HEAD

FILE REMOVED

Changes since revision 1.1: +0 -0 lines

deleted router

Revision 1.1: download - view: text, markup, annotated - select for
diffs

Wed Mar 4 18:52:27 2009 UTC (29 minutes, 41 seconds ago) by rancid

Branches: MAIN

new router