[rancid] Installation problem with rancid-cvs

David Willson nzamoeba at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:25:34 UTC 2009

I'm installing rancid on a new box running Fedora 10 and come across an issue when it comes time to run the rancid-cvs command.

I've been following this guide: http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch1_:_Network_Backups_With_Rancid

First time around when I ran the rancid-cvs command I got an error about how cvs was unknown. A quick 'yum install cvs' fixed that up, so I ran it again. This time however I got no output at all, no error messages or confirmation text, just a new line and new command prompt, it didn't appear to do anything.

I also checked to see if any of the folders had been created, they haven't.

Thinking it may have been an issue with cvs not being installed from the start, I did another recompile/reinstall, but got the same issue, when I ran rancid-cvs nothing appeared to happen at all.

How would I go about diagnosing/fixing this? Anyone familiar with the issue? I'm installing the latest a9 version.