[rancid] Adding a new device type

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Tue Mar 31 10:08:17 UTC 2009

All,

I've just discovered RANCID after an entry on the SANS ISC blog
(http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=6100) - very nice tool. I've set
it up for our HP ProCurve switches (a mixture of 2810s and 2610s) and
after a small struggle it's working really nicely, so thanks.

We also use several MikroTik routers around the company, so I wanted to
be able to add these to rancid. These aren't supported yet, so I wanted
to add support for them, but I haven't a clue where to start. Can anyone
give me a bit of an introduction please? Suffice to say they're nothing
like Ciscos or HPs with their own CLI accessible by SSH or Telnet so
they would need a whole new set of scripts to poll.

Any hints would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris