[rancid] changing email notification

George.Nussbaum at l-3com.com George.Nussbaum at l-3com.com
Mon May 4 13:26:07 UTC 2009

Hello,

I was trying to follow the below mentioned FAQ about changing e-mail
notifications using mail-list software.  Can anyone provide a HOWTO or a
sample as I am having difficulty.

Thanks,

George

Q. I would like to collect device configurations every hour, but only
receive

   diffs every Nth collection or every N hours.  Is this possible?

A. Certainly, but rancid does not provide such a mechanism natively.
Two

   approaches are recommended:

        1) Using your preferred mail-list software, add a list with a
digest

           and configure your MTA (example: sendmail) to send diffs to
the

           list.  Configure the mail-list software to force the digest
at the

           interval desired.  This allows folks to choose which type
they

           prefer, after each collection or every N hours.