[rancid] Re: Foundry ServerIron

William Yardley rancid at veggiechinese.net
Tue May 12 21:19:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:22:03AM +0100, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, William Yardley wrote:

> I have a user on Foundry with priv level '5' (readonly), but I also
> need:

>   privilege exec level 5 skip-page-display

level 5 doesn't seem to work for me - show doesn't work at all. We are
using priv level 1 (context-based) with

 username rancid privilege 1 password .....
 global all viewer

Trying to set something for privilege level 1 doesn't seem to work (the
level gets changed to '2' in the config, and paging isn't turned off),
probably because it's role-based. I tried doing:

 username rancid
     enable skip-page-display

but that set skip-page-display globally again, not just for that user.

Also, it's been a while, but maybe francid should just send a 'terminal
length 0' before starting, which I think would accomplish the same
thing? I guess that's not done because not all versions of the foundry
code support it?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/3743

> > Will it fail if some of these don't work? write term and show module
> > don't work for me (not as the user I'm connecting as, and I believe not
> > at all).
>
> As long as it can find the prompt again after a failed command, it should
> be OK.  But you need to check your paging (also make sure you're running
> the latest rancid).
>
> To find out exactly where it is failing, you will need to grab the raw
> output, see the web page for more details.

Yeah - the raw output shows it hanging on the prompt (which looks like:

 SSH at hostname>

(where hostname is a single word made up of lower case letters)

raw output from 'francid hostname.example.com' shows:

hostname.example.com
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid hostname.example.com
rancid at hostname.example.com's password:
SSH at hostname>
[hangs there]

I don't see an obvious way (in .cloginrc, anyway) to configure the
prompt regex, nor do I see an obvious way to change the default ssh
prompt.

If I do 'flogin [host]', it similarly just hangs - I can't hit return,
exit, or enter commands.