[rancid] Re: access-problem

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon May 18 16:24:30 UTC 2009

Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:00:44PM +0100, alex:
> On Friday 15 May 2009 12:15:15 Ron Whitney wrote:
> > > With clogin I can login
> > > and authenticate and become the prompt, but I can't execute
> > > any commands and receive a timeout.
> >
> > When you log in, are you already in privlidged exec mode?  (IWO, already
> > enabled?)  If so, Rancid may be waiting for the user exec prompt so it
> > can issue the 'enable' command.  The 'set autoenable {routername}'
> > option in your .cloginrc should get around that.
>
> Rancid should print a hint like this along with the timeout message, as it
> appears to be a very FAQ!

it doesn't seem a good investment of time to add the complexity to
figure out of its a timeout due to misconfiguration vs. another problem.
and, that configuration knob is right at the top of cloginrc(5) and its
mentioned in the sample cloginrc.

has anyone tried/tested the patch for clogin that i posted to eliminate
autoenable?