[rancid] Re: Cisco ASA 8.2 software - changes....

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Sat May 23 07:19:54 UTC 2009

john heasley wrote:
> Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:16:32PM +0200, Brian Ipsen:
>> Hi
>>
>>  After I upgraded one of our ASA5500-series boxes to software 8.2 - I get notification about the change below every time rancid is run:
>>
>> - !Flash:   114  43          May 12 2009 02:06:03  coredumpinfo/coredump.cfg
>> + !Flash:   114  43          May 12 2009 03:06:14  coredumpinfo/coredump.cfg
>>
>> The timestamp changes - depending on when the check is run... Is there an easy way of excluding this info from the config collection ??
>
> what is that file for?

I upgraded to 8.2(1) tonight as well and now I'm seeing the same thing.
  I haven't been keeping up with this list and so I didn't know about
the new "feature" until I started investigating why I was suddenly
getting these messages; Google pointed me to the list archives.

Is there an easy way to alter the script to use a regex that can then
exclude certain strings like "coredump" from the dir outputs?

I'll put a call into TAC next week and raise hell about this.  There's
no excuse for this file's timestamp to be hit every time someone does a
'show run' (which is apparently the trigger for this "feature").
Besides, there's a big in disabling the 'coredump enable' command in
global config:

ASA(config)# no coredump enable
Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.

It shouldn't return a help string like that.

Justin