[rancid] F5 bigpipe shell user

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Aug 27 00:19:50 UTC 2010

Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 05:35:52PM -0500, Slacker T:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new with rancid, so please forgive any naivety!
>
> I'm trying to setup rancid to access a F5 3600 LTM running 10.2.  The
> account that rancid uses is a limited account, it's Role is "guest" and it's
> terminal access is set to "bigpipe shell".  It's basically a read-only
> account that can only list the config.  The prompt that this user gets is
> "bp>".  Currently the only command I need to run is "b list".
>
> Does rancid version 2.3.4 support this out of the box? Or do I need to edit
> something outside of .cloginrc and router.db?

no; i dont have any of these, but not long ago a user told me that the >
prompt had been deprecated.  somewhere along the line of trying to get
the f5 module working properly, that support was removed.  this was
probably also related to the changes in commands collected.

> Would I be better off abandoning this approach and just allow the user full
> shell access, i.e. root with a "user at hostname ~ #" prompt?

yes