[rancid] SVN Update issue?

Rob Maas rob at progob.nl
Tue Aug 31 13:15:50 UTC 2010

I configured Rancid to use svn instead of cvs.

When I created the config, I run "rancid-cvs", which creates the directories
in the ./var folder.
When I run "rancid-run" everything works flawless. (no devices added to
router.db)

When I edit "router.db" by adding some devices to this file and run
"rancid-run" agian. I get the following errors in the log.

Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.

Sending        .
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Directory '/5000-Hoofdkantoor' is out of date

After some searching through the mailing list I found out, that using "svn
update" would fix this problem.
Indeed it did, after "svn update" and running "rancid-run", I got the
following results in the log.

Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.

Sending        .
Sending        configs/swcore
Sending        configs/swdist
Sending        configs/swrsadtc1
Sending        configs/swrsadtc2
Sending        configs/swsrvdtc1
Sending        configs/swsrvdtc2
Sending        router.db
Transmitting file data .......
Committed revision 10.

It would be nice if this "svn update" issue would be fixed, cause I have
over 200 groups.
It is fairly easy to forget "svn update" after updating one of the groups.

I'm running Rancid 2.3.4 on OpenSuse 11.2.

Maybe needles to say, but when I use CVS instead of SVN none of the above
problems occur.

With kind regards,
Rob Maas