[rancid] Re: Modify rancid scripts to enter on Cisco devices level 7 (enable 7 command)

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Jun 9 20:28:30 UTC 2010

Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 08:57:03PM +0100, Jethro R Binks:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, john heasley wrote:
>
> > Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:56:21AM +0200, Julian Salmeron:
> > > I have a strange situation with a Cisco device where I have to login as
> > > normal user , then type the "enable 7" command to enter in level 7 and then
> > > type "show startup config" instead of "show running config".
> > > So I have to modify some of the rancid scripts (clogin, rancid and maybe
> > > some more), and that's my problem...I don't know how to do that and I'm not
> > > sure which scripts I have to modify.
> >
> > clogin/*login does not have a way to alter the enable command.  afaik,
> > other commands will fail at lower privilege levels, so i'm not inclined
> > to add the feature now.
>
> That's true; I also needed the feature for some 3Com/H3C gear which
> doesn't use "enable".  I wasn't inclined to add the feature either, but I
> did make it slightly easier for myself in case I ever did; I simply:
>
>     set enacmd "system-view"
>
> then later:
>
>     send "$enacmd\r"
>
> If the facility to change it ever gets added in via .cloginrc, I at least
> had part of the framework there, and in the meantime it reminds me to
> think about it again every so often.

i'd have created a separate script for that one, especially because its a
3com.  yes, i won't hide my disdain for 3com.

but, 'enablecmd' is what i was thinking about.  however, because folks
would be inclined to do things like julian is, it affects authorization
for other commands and quickly becomes far more complicated.