[rancid] Re: rancid with sec issue

David Clement dclement at clickability.com
Tue Mar 9 01:20:32 UTC 2010

I haven't offered any such suggestions in the past on this list b/c I
figured others would know better, so take this for what it's worth:

you might try calling a wrapper script from SEC (instead of directly calling
rancid-run -r hostname) that can wait for the prior run of RANCID to
complete.  If you add some controls to ensure you don't fire off too many
waiting wrapper scripts, it might be even safer:

#!/usr/bin/perl

my ($host) = shift;

my $lockFile = '/tmp/*<insert group name here>*.run.lock  # lock file name
that RANCID creates while running
my $sleepTime = 60;  # seconds to wait for lockfile to go away
my $sleepCount = 0;  # how many times the script has looked for the
lockfile, found it and waited
my $sleepMax = 10;   # maximum number of times to sleep

while (-e $lockFile) {
   if ($sleepCount >= $sleepMax) {
         # add email notification here
         die "wanted to run RANCID for host '$host' but couldn't ".
             "wait any longer for lockfile to go away. ".
             "waited $sleepTime seconds $sleepCount times.";
   }
   $sleepCount++;
   sleep $sleepTime;
}