[rancid] Dell PowerConnect 5316M device archival in 2.3.3

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 00:06:40 UTC 2010

After a quick search through the archives, I came across this link (
http://www.rickyninja.net/rancid/), which quickly allowed me to archive a
couple Dell PowerConnect switches that I inherited.  I am currently running
2.3.2, but after checking the latest 2.3.3 tarball it doesn't appear to have
native Dell integration.  This also makes me wonder if the other changes
I've made over the years through community based patches (SAN-OS support,
for example) will be supported once moving to 2.3.3 (once it is officially
released).

Is it possible to add in the dlogin/drancid/fe-rancid updates found in the
above into the 2.3.3 release?  Are other community based patches generally
incorporated into the next release, or is that not common practice?

Thanks,

-- Eric Cables