[rancid] anyone have rancid working for a nexus 5000?

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:40:37 UTC 2010

On 11/1/10, john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:34:27PM -0400, Lee:
>> On 10/27/10, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > rancid log says
>> >
>> > write(spawn_id=1): broken pipe
>> >     while executing
>> > "send_user -- "$expect_out(buffer)""
>> >     invoked from within
>> >
>> > when trying to get the config from a nexus 5000.
>>
>> The problem turned out to be "show version build-info all" - ie:
>>
>> nexus5000-1# show version build-info all
>>                           ^
>> % Invalid command at '^' marker.
>> nexus5000-1#
>
> plz report that to cisco.  running a command that isnt supported on the
> platform should not cause it to disconnect the client.

I don't think it's a cisco problem.  In the above example I did a
"clogin nexus5000-1" and then typed in "show version build-info all"
at the prompt.  Got the error msg & new prompt - no disconnect.

& I just noticed that doing an "export NOPIPE=YES" before the
"rancid-run -r nexus5000-1" doesn't have the 'broken pipe' msg.  I
don't get a new config since it complains about missing commands, but
if it was cisco ending the ssh session wouldn't I still be getting the
broken pipe error message?

>> Comment out the "{'show version build-info all'   =>
>> 'ShowVersionBuild'}," line and rancid (actually nxrancid - I spent
>> more time than I'd like to admit looking at rancid) is able to grab
>> the config.  So all's fine with that box now, but the next n5k is
>> still failing; log file shows
>>
>> Trying to get all of the configs.
>> nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license
>> =====================================
>> Getting missed routers: round 1.
>> nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license
>>

>> ssh into the box & typing in the command doesn't give any output:
>>
>> nexus5000-2# show license
>> nexus5000-2#
>>
>> Help getting around this one would be appreciated.
>
> set NOPIPE=YES in your environment and run nxrancid -d hostname.  look
> in hostname.raw for this command and it's output.  can also run nxrancid
> -d -f hostname.raw to help trace it.

I must be especially slow today - what am I looking for?  Looking in
nexus5000-2.raw shows some extra "^M"s, but it's still the same as my
earlier example - no output:

plugin^M
  Core Plugin, Ethernet Plugin^Mnexus5000-2# show license^M^M
^Mnexus5000-2# show license usage^M^M
Feature                      Ins  Lic   Status Expiry Date Comments^M
                                 Count^M

and the last few lines in my terminal window are:

HIT COMMAND:nexus5000-2# show running-config
    In WriteTerm: nexus5000-2# show running-config
nexus5000-2: found exit
nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license
nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license

Thank you - I really appreciate the help.
Lee