[rancid] Working with an HP Procurve 2900-48G and 2910al-48G

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Sep 8 23:09:34 UTC 2010

Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 09:05:04AM -0400, Jeff B:
> Hello I'm new to rancid and I'm trying to set up these two HP Procurve Switches:
>
> ProCurve J9050A Switch 2900-48G, revision T.13.71, ROM K.12.12
> (/sw/code/build/mbm(t3a))
> ProCurve J9147A 2910al-48G Switch, revision W.14.50, ROM W.14.04
>
> I'm having several different problems which I'll describe,  at first I
> was unsure if I should be using hlogin or flogin but now I'm pretty
> sure that I need to be using hlogin because the foundry command to
> turn off paging is not understood.  Ironically I get farther with
> flogin than I'm able to with hlogin.
>
> When I use hlogin I get to 2 different points depending on if I'm
> using telnet or ssh to connect to it.  When using telnet I get the
> following error
>
> Command:
>  hlogin -c "show version" hpswitch-telnet.example.com

i think that you just have an older rancid.  try 2.3.5, tomorrow.

> When I use SSH to connect to the switch I have a problem with the
> hpuifilter not working right and dropping characters so expect never
> finds what it's looking for.

i think that you're using linux.  i went through this with another user
a few weeks ago.  there is a new and exciting libc that seems to have a
bug w/ recognizing wide characters and the jibberish coming from the hp
seems to trigger it.  anyway, i think 2.3.5 will fix this for you.