[rancid] Problem with hpuifilter on RHEL6 and glibc-2.12-1.47.el6.x86_64

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Dec 23 19:46:35 UTC 2011

Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:37:10PM -0500, Andy Cobaugh:

> Hey folks.
>
> We recently saw a problem crop up with hpuifilter on RHEL6 (well,
> Scientific Linux 6.1) when glibc/glibc-common got updated.
>
> We're running RANCID 2.3.6 with git extensions. The problem only happens
> with HP switches, so I'm thinking this is a problem in hpuifilter
> somewhere, but maybe it's in tcl/expect/ssh.
>
> The problem exists with glibc-2.12-1.47.el6.x86_64, but not with
> glibc-2.12-1.25.el6.x86_64, which came from 6.1 FCS. I'm not sure what
> version we were running before the update.
>
> The diff outputs we're seeing look something like this:
>
> -aaa port-access authenticator 8 client-limit 1
> -aaa port-access authenticator 9 quiet-period 30
> +aaa port-access authenticator 8 client-laaa poaaa port-access authenticator 9 quiet-period 30
>
> -;Image: stamp:    /sw/code/build/cod(cod11)
> +;Image: ^[[24magemage stamp:    /sw/code/build/cod(cod11)
>
> -ip default-gatew.1.1
> -sntp sesntp server 128.118.25.3
> +ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1
> +sntp server 128.118.25.3
>

> It's completely random which switches show this behavior, but all of them
> tend to flip-flop between ok and not ok, and we have enough switches that
> we get an email every time RANCID runs.
>
> I'm not sure where else to look. Open to suggestions.

are you sure that your have rancid 2.3.6?  hpuifilter had been patched to
avoid some internationalized string functions which didnt like the 8 bit
chars of the screen handling codes.  perhaps something else has contracted
this disease, but first please check that you really have 2.3.6.