[rancid] [patch] Filter oscillating VLAN port membership when VTP Pruning

Rhett Hooper rhooper at wheelercat.com
Wed Feb 2 23:04:06 UTC 2011

On 2/2/2011 1:55 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:08:39PM -0700, Rhett Hooper wrote:
>> I really wish the output from "show vlan brief" was truly brief.
>> I couldn't find a way to get IOS to just show a list of the VLAN
>> numbers with their names, so I made the following patch to rancid.
>> It filters the VLAN port membership from the output of "show vlan"
>> when it finds that VTP Pruning is enabled.
>
> Actually, is there a good reason not to filter it unconditionally?
> I mean, it's (potentially) dynamic operational state, not
> configuration.

None that I know of.  I think it is useful information to get a list of
VLAN numbers with their names, but an actual change in the configuration
shows up as a "switchport access vlan" statement in the output from
"show running-config".

> Suggest to filter unconditionally.

Which is what I now do in our environment since VLAN port membership
"dynamic operational state" can change for reasons other than VTP
pruning.  We use 802.1X authentication to dynamically assign a VLAN, too.

We have a mix of Cisco 6509, 3750, 3560, 3550, and 2960 switches running
a fairly uniform set of IOS versions.  I didn't think that was a wide
enough sample to say that the regular expressions that filter the ports
from the "show vlan" output will work for everyone.

--
Rhett Hooper
Network Administrator