[rancid] Need some Help - F5's in RANCID

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:00:45 UTC 2011

On 6/28/11, Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Lee wrote:
>
>> After seeing that the regularly scheduled rancid run failed to get
>> several F5 configs this morning I ran it manually:
>>
>> export NOPIPE=YES
>> rancid-run F5
>>
>> rancid collected all the configs & no errors in the log.  Crontab
>> kicked off the rancid run later in the day & several F5s showed up in
>> the log with the
>> missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls
>> --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key
>>
>> again, run rancid manually with NOPIPE=YES and everything works.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to debug the problem would be appreciated since
>> the standard debugging suggestion is to set NOPIPE and use the -d
>> option.  I have yet to see rancid fail to get an F5 config if nopipe
>> is set
>
> In that case, in rancid.conf you can set NOPIPE permanently:
>
> # if NOPIPE is set, temp files will be used instead of a cmd pipe during
> # collection from the router(s).
> NOPIPE=YES; export NOPIPE

Well!!  It doesn't seem to depend on NOPIPE.  rancid run manually to
collect F5 configs works -- with NOPIPE set or clear.  Rancid run from
crontab sometimes works, sometimes not.

Unless someone beats me to it (hint, hint :) I'll try to figure out
next week if it's an env. variable setting missing from the crontab
run that's causing the problem

Regards,
Lee