[rancid] Need some Help - F5's in RANCID

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 23:57:09 UTC 2011

On 6/24/11, john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 03:24:15PM +1000, Shain Singh:
>> On 24 June 2011 10:57, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What I've been seeing is that the F5 collection fails for some number of
>> > days on
>> >  xxx: missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never
>> > /config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key
>> > and then magically starts working again.  If the problem was with the
>> > parsing routine for ssl.crt wouldn't it always work or fail?      ...
>> > hrmm.. unless it's a timing issue?
>
> it depends; sometimes its the device that is inconsistent about returning
> it's output.  such as omitting the CR after the output so that the prompt
> is at the beginning of the line.

After seeing that the regularly scheduled rancid run failed to get
several F5 configs this morning I ran it manually:

export NOPIPE=YES
rancid-run F5

rancid collected all the configs & no errors in the log.  Crontab
kicked off the rancid run later in the day & several F5s showed up in
the log with the
missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls
--full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key

again, run rancid manually with NOPIPE=YES and everything works.

Any thoughts on how to debug the problem would be appreciated since
the standard debugging suggestion is to set NOPIPE and use the -d
option.  I have yet to see rancid fail to get an F5 config if nopipe
is set

Lee