[rancid] rancid-run does not always send report (diffs)

Donovan Fourie donovan.fourie at sai.co.za
Mon May 23 07:09:05 UTC 2011

Hi

Once again Rancid did not send an e-mail on Sunday morning and Monday
morning. I was the only person at work on Saturday and the server is only
configured with Rancid and Sysmon. No changes were made between Saturday
morning when it worked and Sunday morning when it did not.

Saturday (worked):

Getting missed routers: round 1.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
Checking in configs/41.216.xxx.xxx;
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/sai/configs/41.216.xxx.xxx,v  <--  41.216.xxx.xxx
done

ending: Sat May 21 03:10:38 SAST 2011

Sunday (No E-mail):

Getting missed routers: round 2.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Sun May 22 03:20:40 SAST 2011

When checking /rancid/var/CVS/sai/configs$ it does not look like a new
version of the config was retrieved for the router mentioned in the Saturday
Rancid:

head    1.10;
access;
symbols;
locks; strict;
comment @# @;
expand  @o@;

1.10
date    2011.05.21.01.10.37;    author rancid;  state Exp;
branches;
next    1.9;

1.9
date    2011.05.20.01.10.46;    author rancid;  state Exp;
branches;
next    1.8;

I'm quite stumped by this as I can't find any reason why Rancid would work
one day but not the next. I know that if I had to manually run Rancid now it
would successfully collect the new configs and send a mail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Donovan Fourie