[rancid] cisco router logs

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:34:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Alex DEKKER <rancid at ale.cx> wrote:
> On 12.11.2011 00:12, shouldbe q931 wrote:
>>
>> I wondered if anyone had already written a script to extract the logs
>> from a Cisco router and drop them into CVS
>
> I'm going to speculate that the answer to this is "no they haven't", because
> storing logs in CVS doesn't really make any sense, as far as I can tell. Why
> would you care about what the logs looked like today vs. last week or last
> month, as you would with a config? Each log entry is timestamped so you can
> see when things happened. And there's already a sensible, widely supported
> mechanism for off-router storage of logs, syslog.
>
> alexd

Hi Alex

The situation is a small site with an ADSL connection that only has
two desktops and no VPN back to the main site. I'd rather not have
syslog traffic going over the Internet, hence the idea of "collecting"
the log over an SSH connection. Granted its not as tidy as syslog, but
for the quantity of logs I thought it might be an idea. I guess
setting up a site to site VPN to carry syslog traffic will probably be
the simplest solution

Cheers

Arne