[rancid] su - rancid password

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Oct 5 16:05:25 UTC 2011

Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 03:37:45PM +0000, Henry P Hardin:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm following the Rhys Evans linux install doc.  I'm installing in /var/rancid-2.3.6 rather than /usr/local/rancid but other than that following the notes.
>
> My problem is that in step 18 when I run the /var/rancid-2.3.6/bin/clogin I get an error: password file (/home/hph839/.cloginrc) does not exist.
>
> This is my home directory.  I thought it would look for .cloginrc in /var/rancid-2.3.6/.cloginrc as I put it there per step 9) of the doc.

its in ${HOME}/.cloginrc, so if you're running it as yourself or root (and
your environment is inheritted), it will look there.  if you were logged in
as the user who will run rancid, it will look in that users' homedir.

you can ln -s /var/rancid-whatever/.clogin ~ assuming you have common
unix group membership.