[rancid] duplicated characters

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Sep 15 15:52:33 UTC 2011

On 09/03/2011 02:08 PM, john heasley wrote:
> Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:27:10PM -0600, Corey Edwards:
>> After a recent upgrade from Debian 5.0 to 6.0 I began seeing duplicate
>> characters in config diffs. Here's an example:
>>
>> - access-list 102 deny   udp any any eq 135
>> + access-list 102 denny   udp any any eq 135
>> - access-list  110 deny   tcp any any eq 445 log
>> + access-list 110 deny   tcp any any eq 445 log
>>
>> I found this thread from 2004 which hinted at it being an issue with the
>> telnet client. The OP eventually switched to ssh which in this case
>> isn't an option.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/720
>
> i dont know what the fbsd fix was for this, but they fixed it somehow in
> their tcl or expect port.
>
> perhaps its related to a problem that came up in rancid 2.3.5 something
> changed in debian's libc that caused problems with string handling
> functions, which i believe was related to internationalization.
>
> or could be a bug in buffer handling in expect or tcl.

I moved the RANCID install to a separate server running Debian 6.0 and
it's working just fine, so it appears to be something left over from the
upgrade from 5.0. I just can't imagine what it is.

> either way, if you can capture clogin -d -c 'show running' o/p where this
> occurs, it should at least reveal where the bug is.

I captured this output, but unfortunately it was rife with passwords. I
trimmed it down to what I hope is still a useful summary. In this
example the duplicated character showed up in the word "permitt".

http://pastebin.com/epUCPr2p

> you can also try rebuilding tcl and expect w/o internationalization.

I could not find any way to do this.

Corey