[rancid] Malfunction between rancid and HP 2910.

Per-Olof Olsson peo at chalmers.se
Fri Sep 16 18:14:17 UTC 2011

Vincent LOUPIEN skrev 2011-09-16 16:33:
> Hello John,
>
> ----- Mail original -----
>> Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 05:03:06PM +0200, Vincent LOUPIEN:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We replaced the old good HP Procurve 2650 by more resent HP Procurve
>>> 2910 and since, rancid refuse to backup theirs configurations, while
>>> this was going very well with 2650. All the parameters seem correct
>>> (telnet / ssh, password ...) and are becoming the same as for 2650.
>>>
>>> Debugging using clogin works very well but with the use of
>>> rancid-run in crond, it creates problems without messages/errors.
>>
>> hlogin is for hp switches with the hp o/s, which i think began as
>> procurve. test with that. else, look for errors in the group's log
>> file.
> When i execute hlogin (telnet connexion without user) , this is what i get (but no trace in the log in "/var/log/rancid/") :
> linux:/var/lib/rancid/bin# ./hlogin -c "show version" hp2910
> hp2910
> spawn hpuifilter -- telnet hp2910
>
> Error: telnet failed: couldn't execute "hpuifilter": no such file or directory

Is it the problem with stacking enabled on hp2910 switches?

1. Looks like you run rancid command as root. Don't! You will end up
with files not owned by your ranciduser and get more trouble.

2. If you are running as rancid-user I thing you get correct path
settings to find hpuifiler. hpuifiler and hlogin is proper installed in
your "rancid/bin"-dir if it's work for 2650's.

3. clogin don't use hpuifiler so it will not work to with Procurve switches.

4. There is a new prompt on hp2910, if you have "stacking" enabled.
Test to turn off stacking and run hlogin/rancid-run as you do with 2650's.
If you start using ssh to login, you can find a patch for ssh login to
2910 switch stack member 0, posted pevious on this list.

/Peo
Per-Olof Olsson               Email: peo at chalmers.se
Chalmers tekniska högskola    IT-service
Hörsalsvägen 5                412 96 Göteborg
Tel: 031/772 6738  Fax: 031/772 8680