[rancid] F5 BIG-IP devices - any tricks?

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Sat Apr 28 14:30:35 UTC 2012

John,

The link that was provided earlier by Matthew seems promising.  I was able to run all commands on both v10 and v11 devices.  The patch, however, did not apply properly against a 2.3.8 build and my attempts to manually input the lines worked except for this routine, where it fails at the end:

+# This routine processes a "tmsh list"
+sub WriteTermTMSH {
+ my($lines) = 0;
+ print STDERR " In WriteTerm: $_" if ($debug);
+
+ while (<INPUT>) {
+ tr/15//d;
+ next if (/^s*$/);
+ # end of config - hopefully. f5 does not have a reliable end-of-config
+ # tag.
+ if (/^$prompt/) {
+ $found_end++;
+ last;
+ }
+ return(-1) if (/command authorization failed/i);
+
+ $lines++;
+
+ if (/(bind-pw|encrypted-password|user-password-encrypted|passphrase) / && $filter_pwds >= 1) {
+ ProcessHistory("ENABLE","","","# $1 n");
+ next;
+ }
+
+ # catch anything that wasnt matched above.
+ ProcessHistory("","","","$_");
+ }
+
+ if ($lines 'ShowVersion'},

Here is the link to the full changes.  If anyone can tell me how to fix the last line, I should be able to quickly test it against v11 and v10 devices that we monitor.

http://blog.routedlogic.net/2011/12/08/rancid-monitoring-of-f5s-with-bigip-v11-x/

Thanks,

-ryan