[rancid] ignoring toggling/changing output lines

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Aug 7 16:57:18 UTC 2012

Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 11:27:56AM +0200, Roman Hochuli:
> Dear All
>
> As much as I love RANCID I am fighting with two anoyances which I, at
> the moment, have no ideas how to fix them.
>

> The first one I do not seem to be the only one beeing hit by: changing
> type 7 passwords within l2tp-class-sections on Cisco routers. As from
> what the archives say this is probably even expected behaviour according
> to TAC. Changesets look something like this:
> --snip
>   l2tp-class NAME
>    hidden
>    authentication
> -  password 7 abcabcabcabcabcabc
> +  password 7 xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz
>   !
> --snap
>
> To be honest: I would be glad with a solution that simply ingores the
> password, but only the l2tp-class one. I would like to keep the other
> passwords in the config. Any ideas?

that must be an ios bug.  you should contact TAC and insist that they open
a ticket.

the only way to filter it would be to filter all passwords, or write a
filter that kept state to know when it enters/leaves a l2t-class def.

> The second issue involves Brocades (former Foundry Networks) Metro Ring
> Protocol. You have to specify two interfaces which are defining the east
> and west side of the ring as from this boxes perspective. Sure, they
> might change if a break in the ring happens. But I am seeing toggling
> between these interfaces way more than we have ring-breaks...
>
> A typical output of such a changeset would look like this:
> --snip
>    metro-ring ID
> -   ring-interfaces  ethernet 1  ethernet 7
> +   ring-interfaces  ethernet 7  ethernet 1
> --snap
>
> Any ideas how to filter this toggling, but still keep the informations
> about the ring-interfaces in the output?

same answer; the state should never be reflected in the configuration.  of
course, i do not know if foundry has ever fixed a UI bug, so they're
unlikely to fix it.  so, you will need a filter or some sorting; if ring
interfaces can be configured one per-line, like
   ring-interfaces  ethernet 7
   ring-interfaces  ethernet 1
then i would split those lines like this and use ProcessHistory to sort on
the interface.