[rancid] Doubling characters on some devices

Walt Howd walthowd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:21:53 UTC 2012

With some help from a kind third party I was able to track this down to a bug with the telnet.krb5 package in Ubuntu/Debian. This was referenced last year on the mailing list:

http://ftp.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2011-September/005929.html

To solve this issue, rather then remove the kerberos packages, I changed my default telnet to the netkit version of telnet as show below:

rancid at rancid:~# update-alternatives --config telnet
There are 2 choices for the alternative telnet (providing /usr/bin/telnet).

  Selection    Path                    Priority   Status
* 0            /usr/bin/telnet.krb5     105       auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/telnet.krb5     105       manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/telnet.netkit   100       manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/telnet.netkit to provide /usr/bin/telnet (telnet) in manual mode.

rancid at rancid:~# update-alternatives --display telnet
telnet - manual mode
  link currently points to /usr/bin/telnet.netkit
/usr/bin/telnet.krb5 - priority 105
  slave telnet.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/telnet.krb5.1.gz
/usr/bin/telnet.netkit - priority 100
  slave telnet.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/telnet.netkit.1.gz
Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/telnet.krb5'.

rancid at rancid:~# ls -sal /etc/alternatives/telnet
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2012-02-13 15:35 /etc/alternatives/telnet -> /usr/bin/telnet.netkit

Walt Howd
Network Manager
Information Technology Services
Truman State University