[rancid] F5 BIG-IP devices - any tricks?

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+rancid-discuss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:06:54 UTC 2012

Hi Lance,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Lance Vermilion <rancid at gheek.net> wrote:
> In the  F5 you need to change the setting under the user so they will get a
> full shell

Thanks, yeah, that does appear to be the issue -- f5rancid/clogin
expect to be dropped into a full shell. We discovered yesterday (after
posting to the list) that using the 'root' user results in working
RANCID.

On the surface it seemed that all we needed to do was figure out a way
to disable the pager on a per-session basis within the bigpipe shell.
That still seems like the cleanest way to make this work to me.

Anyway, I'll work with the folks more familiar with the operation of
the F5s to figure out how we provide 'full shell' access to the user
RANCID uses. Hopefully we can provide 'full shell, read only' somehow.

Cheers,
Dale