[rancid] Email notification with RANCID

Hagen, Skye skyeh at uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 20 19:14:05 UTC 2012

The syslog events are indexed in Splunk with a specific sourcetype, in our
case 'Rancid'. We run RANCID via cron once a day. Therefore, our Splunk
reports are on a daily schedule. Here is a list of the reports that we run.

Consistent errors, where the same device has an error for the last two
weeks. Run daily, for the last 2 weeks. Query: sourcetype="Rancid"
"rancid-run" error | stats count by device | where count > 13

Excessive errors, where we have a large number of errors in a single run.
Run daily, for the last 24 hours. Query: sourcetype="Rancid" rancid Errors >
7

Did not finish, where we do not see the end of the run for our three RANCID
groups. Run daily, for the last 24 hours. Query: sourcetype="Rancid"
rancid-run ending: | stats count by date_mday | where count != 3

The reports are only emailed to our network team if the event count is
greater than zero. In other words, we only get notified if there is a
problem.

If you want to discuss this further, lets take it off-list.

Skye.