[rancid] Renaming devices? (svn backend)

Daniel Schmidt daniel.schmidt at wyo.gov
Wed Apr 17 15:28:15 UTC 2013

An example: I threw something together quick (not well - quick) for the
other network guys so they could copy/paste output.  If I weren't so
lazy/busy, I would make it run the commands it's self, set a path at the
top, yada yada.  Change paths & it work 4 U.

$ cat stupid_change.py
#!/usr/bin/python

# Just tell me how to change it!
# not written well, just written in 15 minutes
# could probably be done in bash

import sys

def check_yn(message, default):
    answer = ''
    while not ((answer == 'y') or (answer =='n')):
        answer = raw_input(message)
        answer = answer.lower()
        if answer == '':
            return default
    if answer == 'y':
        return True
    else:
        return False

def gen_crap(old_name, new_name, type):
    print ("sed -i 's/%s/%s/g' /home/rancid/var/%s/router.db"
            % (old_name, new_name, type))
    print ("cp -p /home/rancid/var/CVS/%s/configs/%s,v \
/home/rancid/var/CVS/%s/configs/%s,v"
            % (type, old_name, type, new_name))
    print "cd /home/rancid/var/%s/configs" % type
    print "cvs update"
    print "/home/rancid/bin/rancid-run -r %s" % new_name
    print "cd ~\n"

def main():
    if not len(sys.argv) == 3:
        if len(sys.argv) == 4:
            gen_crap(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2], sys.argv[3])
        else:
            print "Usage:\n./stupid_change.py old_name new_name
type(optional)"
    else:
        if check_yn("Is this a switch?(y):", True):
            gen_crap(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2], 'Switches')
        else:
            gen_crap(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2], 'Routers')

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()