[rancid] RANCID and Cisco's VSS output?

andrew.brennan+rancid at drexel.edu andrew.brennan+rancid at drexel.edu
Mon Aug 12 19:20:55 UTC 2013

While doing a quick inventory check of our modules, I noticed that there
were 4 different serial numbers listed for WS-X6716-10GE modules ... but
only two of those matched up with "Slot #" lines.

I'm guessing the "show inventory" in a VSS system produces output that's
for both chassis, but "show module" only has details for the modules in
the active chassis?  There's a "show module switch all" command, but I'm
suspecting that the output might be troublesome to parse.

If someone else has already addressed this in RANCID patches, I'd love to
save some time and use their work.  :)  Unfortunately, I can't get to the
RANCID web site right now to check out the version history and/or FAQ.

Thanks!

andrew.