[rancid] F5 backups are only working for some hosts via cron, but always manually

Stephan Seitz stse+rancid at fsing.rootsland.net
Fri Dec 6 13:09:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 09:35:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>Those ANSI escape sequences containing "[" are never supposed to be
>echoed to the screen at all, they are controls to the terminal emulator
>to take some action or other.
>
>To see why you get them in case b) look the the man page for su under
>option -c:
>
>       -c, --command COMMAND
>           Specify a command that will be invoked by the shell using its -c.
>
>           The executed command will have no controlling terminal. This
>option cannot be used to
>           execute interractive programs which need a controlling TTY.

Ah, thank you very much for the explanation. So I’ll better test via
cron.

>We now need to check what actually happens in your cron jobs. What is
>the content of rancid.conf, especially the settings NOPIPE, PATH and TERM?

TERM=xterm;export TERM
LC_COLLATE=”POSIX”; export LC_COLLATE
umask 027
TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR
BASEDIR=/var/lib/rancid; export BASEDIR
PATH=/usr/lib/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin;
export PATH
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
LOGDIR=$BASEDIR/logs; export LOGDIR
RCSSYS=svn; export RCSSYS
ACLSORT=YES; export ACLSORT
FILTER_PWDS=NO; export FILTER_PWDS
NOCOMMSTR=NO; export NOCOMMSTR
LIST_OF_GROUPS=”networking”

The default TERM setting after installation (Debian package) was network,
but this doesn’t exist. So I changed it in the last days when I tried to
analyse the problem.

I tested TERM with the values xterm, linux, and screen together with
NOPIPE=yes and no. But the results are always the same. All Cisco devices
and the two active F5 are working, even with the nonexisting TERM setting
network. The two standby F5 are only working manually.

The environment variables for the rancid user via cron are:
HOME=/var/lib/rancid
LOGNAME=rancid
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHELL=/bin/sh
PWD=/var/lib/rancid

The environment variables for the rancid user (bash) are:
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=xterm
XDG_SESSION_COOKIE=fe5755edd7b665ab56f270925278ef8f-1386334922.264463-273332059
USER=rancid
MAIL=/var/mail/rancid
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
PWD=/var/lib/rancid
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/var/lib/rancid
LOGNAME=rancid
DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
_=/usr/bin/env

I simply don’t understand why the two F5 systems are failing. Since they
are part of a cluster both sides have the same configuration and the same
OS version.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--