[rancid] Extra spaces being randomly added - and seen as config changes

Aaron Wasserott aaron.wasserott at viawest.com
Tue Jan 1 22:29:02 UTC 2013

I am running RANCID 2.3.8 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, Precise Pangolin, kernel 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64.

I am seeing some odd behavior when running rancid against Cisco and Mikrotik devices. The output will sometimes have extra spaces - or line breaks maybe? - that is then seen as a config change when it's not. Two examples below. The first from a Mikrotik router and the second a Cisco router.

In the first example an extra space was seen after "sensitive source=" . In the second example the ports listed in the VLAN output break across two lines, but sometimes only one. In this second example, I have noticed it will go back and forth. Sometimes the ports are listed all on one line, sometimes two. I have many Mikrotiks with many lines of configs, so I haven't checked to see if there is a recurring issue with the same line or not.

- add name=startup-tone policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive source=":for t1 from=1 to=10 step=1 do={\r\n   :for t2 from=300 to=1800 step=40 do={\r \n     :beep frequency=\$t2 length=11ms;\r \n     :delay 11ms;\r \n   }\r \n }\r \n"
+ add name=startup-tone policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive source=": for t1 from=1 to=10 step=1 do={\r \n   :for t2 from=300 to=1800 step=40 do={\r \n     :beep frequency=\$t2 length=11ms;\r \n     :delay 11ms;\r \n   }\r \n }\r \n"

- !VLAN: 1    default                          active    Fa2, Fa3, Fa4, Fa5, Fa6, Fa7
- !VLAN:                                                 Fa8, Fa9
+ !VLAN: 1    default                          active    Fa2, Fa3, Fa4, Fa5, Fa6, Fa7, Fa8, Fa9

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

-Aaron