[rancid] Rancid & email generation

Gerhard Mourani GMourani at prival.ca
Wed Jan 9 18:51:40 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I've some difficulty receiving emails generated by Rancid in my inbox. Mail in general is working fine on the Linux OS and I can send other email without problem. Here my setup.

In my /etc/rancid.conf file, I've group called Cisco as follow:
LIST_OF_GROUPS="Cisco"

/etc/aliases, has Rancid entry as follow:
rancid-admin-cisco: rancid-cisco
rancid-cisco: root
rancid-admin: root
rancid: root
root: myemail at domain.ca<mailto:myemail at domain.ca>

I use exim as mailer and has the following in /etc/exim.conf
begin rewrite
*@*.domain.ca monitoring at domain.ca<mailto:monitoring at domain.ca>
The above mean to rewrite everything before @ and after @.domain.ca to monitoring at domain.ca<mailto:monitoring at domain.ca> (i.e. rewrite rancid-cisco at host1.domain.ca<mailto:rancid-cisco at host1.domain.ca> to monitoring at domain.ca)

My problem is that Rancid try to send the email to monitoring at domain.ca<mailto:monitoring at domain.ca> instead of myemail at domain.ca<mailto:myemail at domain.ca> (From: monitoring at domain.ca<mailto:monitoring at domain.ca> To: monitoring at domain.ca<mailto:monitoring at domain.ca>) and I can't see why. However, if I run -> /usr/bin/rancid-run -m myemail at domain.ca<mailto:myemail at domain.ca>, it work and I receive the email.

Gerhard,