[rancid] ignoring flash memory changes

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Jul 1 15:55:22 UTC 2013

>     > Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:39:31PM +0200, Alan McKinnon:
>     >> Rancid could really benefit from some kind of call-out mechanism
>     where
>     >> we can add our own local tweaks and keep them out of the main
>     code, but
>     >> unfortunately 2.3.x doesn't have this.
>     >>
>     >> Perhaps a worthy addition to the 3.0 series!
>     >
>     > What do you mean 'call-out mechanism'?  in 3.0 you can tell rancid
>     which
>     > module to include (need to add functionality to include multiple
>     modules)
>     > and tell it what function to use to parse the output.
>     >

>     Yes, something like that.
>
>     The problem I face is I've forked every parser script I use, and it's
>     always to add or remove entire commands or individual regexes. These
>     things work best when the regex definition is treated as data out of a
>     config, not as pure code
>
>     I still haven't fully read the 3.0 code yet, so I could well be asking
>     for something you've already done

3.0 does not offer a manner of altering the regexes by configuration,
only the module, commands and functions used for the given device type.  I
do not see the former being practical, there are simply too many; you'd
practically define the entire module in a configuration file and the value
would be lost.