[rancid] hp procurve problem - hlogin works - rancid-run fails

Klavs Klavsen kl at vsen.dk
Thu Jun 6 07:25:56 UTC 2013

I fetched the .src.rpm for 2.3.6 for CentOS, realized the Makefile patch
(disabling -g00 CFLAGS) was unnecessary, and created an updated patch
for config - to get rancid home to /var/rancid and logs in
/var/log/rancid - and installed a complete 2.3.8.

It now works like a charm.

Thank you for all your tips

Per-Olof Olsson said the following on 06/04/2013 09:18 PM:
> Klavs Klavsen skrev 2013-06-04 16:57:
>> I am trying to backup a hp procurve 2520.
>>
>> using rancid 2.3.6 (I tried updating hlogin to v2.3.8).
>
> Don't just update hlogin! Try to use hrancid and hlogin form about the
> same version.
>
> I think there is an update in 2.3.7 to make "save config on exit" to
> work. It changing "exit" to "logout".
> If hrancid 2.3.6 match for "exit" at end, and get "logout" from hlogin
> 2.3.8
> it will not find "End of run"
>
> Test "hrancid -d 10.10.15.96" and see if it gives any info.
>

>> When running:
>> /usr/libexec/rancid/hlogin -c "show version;show flash;show
>> system-information;show system information;show module;show
>> stack;write term" 10.10.15.96
>>
>> it seems to work fine. It logs in, runs the commands, and after a few
>> seconds (and a lot of output :) - it writes exit etc. and
>> gets out just fine.
>>
>> When I then run rancid-run - I see it has spawned that exact command,
>> but there it appearently fails - because the log says:
>> Trying to get all of the configs.
>> 10.10.15.96: End of run not found
>> ;
>> =====================================
>> Getting missed routers: round 1.
>> 10.10.15.96: End of run not found
>> ;
>> =====================================
>> Getting missed routers: round 2.
>> 10.10.15.96: End of run not found
>> ;
>> =====================================
>> Getting missed routers: round 3.
>> 10.10.15.96: End of run not found
>> ;
>> =====================================
>> Getting missed routers: round 4.
>> 10.10.15.96: End of run not found
>>
>> Any ideas as to what I could do, to try to debug it?
>>

> /Peo
> Per-Olof Olsson               Email: peo at chalmers.se
> Chalmers tekniska högskola    IT-service
> Hörsalsvägen 5                412 96 Göteborg
> Tel: 031/772 6738  Fax: 031/772 8680

Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl at vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk - Tlf. 61281200

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
   --Henry Spencer