[rancid] Limit commands run for GSR

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 19:21:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

Our provider edge runs on GSR 12's and they carry a hefty config. NetOps
complain that rancid noticeably spikes the cpu load [1] when it runs
these 4 (essentially the same) commands.

{'more system:running-config'   => 'WriteTerm'},        # ASA/PIX
{ running-config view full'=> 'WriteTerm'},        # workaround for
{'show running-config'          => 'WriteTerm'},
{'write term'                   => 'WriteTerm'},

I got it under control easily by forking rancid to a gsrrancid script
and removing the bits I don't want from @commandtable.

I'd rather not do it this way, I'd like to have this in the rancid
parser. But I can't figure a way to modify @commandtable at runtime
based on chassis/OS type.

Ideas?

[1] It's a legit complaint, not a fiction of a NetOps engineer's
imagination. On every other chassis I can ignore the effects rancid
causes, but not these ones. We do things with the 12k most folks think
should not be possible :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com