[rancid] Parrallel Execution of Rancid

Callum Scott scott.callum at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 16:13:10 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've been searching around for an answer to this and can't seem to find
anything.

My organisation currently has a large number of sites with a varying number
of network devices each of which we would like to back up with rancid.  Im
using dotwaffle's patched version to include git support, though this
shouldn't make a difference for this issue.

Because I am sorting by SITE I have over 1000 rancid groups. Some have only
5 networking devices, whilst others will have tens of networking devices.

My problem is that the rancid-run is taking a massive amount of time (in
the order of days).  I have tried playing around with the PAR_COUNT to
increase concurrency and also reduce the MAX_ROUNDS to reduce the amount of
time spent on each device.  It looks to me that the PAR_COUNT only comes in
during the execution of the control_rancid script, which means concurrency
only hits in within the GROUP.

I'd like a way to run rancid_run on the groups in parallel.  Am I missing
something obvious here?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Kind Regards
Callum