[rancid] Rancid and Nortel 8600

AJ Schroeder AJ.Schroeder at directsupply.com
Mon Oct 28 17:00:11 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I know that this subject has come up many times before and I have been searching for answers on this subject and keep running into dead-ends. I am trying to backup some old 8600 switches with RANCID and much like the switches themselves, the backups aren't working very well. I have the device set to "baynet" in the router.db file and this is what I get in the logs (names changed to x.x.x.x):

Trying to get all of the configs.
x.x.x.x blogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
x.x.x.x: missed cmd(s): bcc,exit,show config,show config -all
x.x.x.x: End of run not found
!
Getting missed routers: round 1.
x.x.x.x blogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
x.x.x.x: missed cmd(s): bcc,exit,show config,show config -all
x.x.x.x: End of run not found
!

I have googled this issue and apparently there were some custom login scripts created for these devices called "pplogin" and "pprancid" but those scripts seem to have vanished as well. If anyone has any tips on how to get past these end of run errors it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ Schroeder