[rancid] Rancid 3.0 License Change

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Oct 31 18:56:21 UTC 2013

Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 02:08:16PM -0400, Tom Limoncelli:
> Reducing customer support costs low is an important goal.  I think the
> problem is that going about it via license strictions brings problems for
> certain Linux distros that have rules about what can and can not be in the
> licenses of software they package.
>
> That said, there should be other ways to get the same goal:
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> 1.   Calculate a hash or checksum of the file and print a warning if it is
> different.  If it was an error the repackagers would also update the
> checksum.  If it is an innocent, "Default rancid.types.base is in use:
> TRUE" (or FALSE) message they'll be less likely to want to remove it.
>
> 2.  If the file has changed, the startup banner should list the version
> number with an "X" appended.  When people list the version number
> (typically part of any service engagement) you'll immediately know if the
> file was non-standard.
>
> 3.  Make it significantly easier to NOT change the file.  For example, add
> a "conf.d" directory for people to add configs that are read after the main
> file.  People can insert individual files for individual models.

The new version makes it easier for folks to add their own models/types.
Which hopefully will help folks update more easily too.

And, clause 6 is no longer a condition of license.  if it causes problems,
we'll implement your suggestions 1 & 2.

> 4.  Shame the people that do change it.   Set up a web page called "The
> Naughty RANCID Distro list" which lists vendors that are known to have
> shipped a modified file.  Include a link to instructions that explain how
> not to change the file.
>
> Those are just a few thoughts.
>
> Hope that helps,

indeed.